Healthy at Home
At the Y, we know that our community is better together. From feeding hungry children with our free Youth Meals Program, to providing a safe place for our homeless neighbors with our Allentown Warming Station, to providing daily opportunities for folks to connect, the Y is here to bring people together.
We've compiled resources for you and your family to stay active, learning and engaged at home. Keep checking this page for an updated list of resources:
Healthy Kids Day with the Y:
- The Y's Healthy Kids Day Parent & Caregiver Toolkit is a resource to help parents and caregivers capture the spirit of Healthy Kids Day at home. The toolkit features kid-friendly recipes, activities families can do together, tips for promoting physical activity, guidance on fostering good mental health and more.
Virtual Preschool Programming:
- Greater Valley YMCA's Virtual Preschool Programming Library
- Stay active whenever and wherever you are by exploring Y Wellness 24/7
- YMCA 360 free fitness classes including: Yoga, Barre, Boot Camp, and Active Older Adult Classes
- Participate in Digital Coach Workouts of the Day thanks to LifeFitness
Stay Learning At Home:
- Watch NASA's Storytime from Space
- Attend a an online children's author reading
- Do a Science Experiment will Bill Nye the Science Guy
- Talk to your kids about the Importance of Handwashing using this video from BrainPop.com
- Teach children about the Coronavirus with this comic
- Prepare a healthy snack with MeLVin from the Phantoms
- Enjoy these fun activity ideas thanks to Dorney Park
- Practice mindfulness with these videos or this mindfulness guide from the Shanthi Project
- Enjoy free virtual Sundays at the Museum thanks to Historic Bethlehem Museum and Sites
- Avoid cabin fever with this list of fun kid's activities from Parade
- Go on a home field trip: Take a Virtual Visit of the Louvre, Say Hi to Animals at the Cincinnati Zoo, Take a Virtual Tour of Yellowstone National Park , Explore Mars, Visit the Boston Children's Museum, Check in on the Aquarium Cams from the Monterey Bay Aquarium or Visit the Great Wall of China
- Practice Gratitude with these suggestions from Lifehack
- Manage stress with this guide from the CDC
- Enjoy online arts content from ArtsQuest
- Watch Broadway plays and musicals
Stay Healthy by Eating Healthy:
Resources from The No Kid Hungry Program Team
- Educational videos for parents, full of helpful tips on how to get their young children eating and excited about healthy foods. Check out the videos in English (Spanish)!
- Two new video series to help families get creative in the kitchen with the food they have on hand. Watch Kitchen Finds and Meal Prep Made Easy.
- New printable resources with plenty of kitchen tips that program partners can distribute, in both English and Spanish.
- Kids’ activity sheets for preschool- and elementary-aged kids to get them excited about trying new foods and making mealtime fun. These could be printed and put into food boxes being distributed to parents and caregivers. Check them out!
- The Cooking Matters Facebook pages (English and in Spanish!) are full of healthy recipes, budgeting tips, and ideas for feeding young kids. Tune in every Thursday at 2PM (English) and 2:30PM (Spanish) for Facebook Live, and have your questions answered!
- A library of healthy, affordable, and delicious recipes on the Cooking Matters website.
The Y's Community Meal Program is here for you! We nourish families in the Lehigh Valley every single week and we're here for you offering free meals. We'll update soon with information about our summer meal program but for now, learn more:
- Free meals for kids and families are offered at several of our Y locations each week!
Participate in a Free Cooking Class!
Cooking Matters® at Home Online programs share information about buying healthy, affordable foods that families can prepare and eat together at home. Each lesson will include a recipe demonstration, but you can also work with us to make the cooking portion of the lesson more interactive. New sessions form on an ongoing basis. Call 610-438-6065, ext 114 if you’re interested in learning more. Register here.
Stay on Budget and Stay Healthy:
- Learn how to Eat Right When Money is Tight with Gateway Health!
- 211 is a vital service leveraged by millions of people across North America. Every day, clients contact 211 to access free and confidential crisis and emergency counseling, disaster assistance, food, health care and insurance assistance, stable housing and utilities payment assistance, employment services, veteran services and childcare and family services.
Stay Aware and Keep Kids Safe:
Our YMCA has partnered with Praesidium to ensure the safety of the youth in our programs. Praesidium helps thousands of organizations, including every YMCA in the country, prevent sexual abuse of children and vulnerable adults by employees, volunteers, and other program participants. We work with Praesidium to ensure we meet best practices in abuse prevention, strengthening our policies, screening practices, trainings, supervision and responding procedures, and education materials for youth and parents. Not only do we want our staff and volunteers to understand how abuse occurs and what are appropriate interactions between YMCA staff and volunteers with youth, but we also want parents and youth to understand as well. Please review these materials to learn more about how we can all ensure the safety of youth here at the YMCA.
Resources for Parents/Guardians;
At the end of the day, we know a Y is not walls; a Y is comprised of people striving to practice caring, honesty, respect and responsibility daily while helping each other. Thanks for being a part of our Y family!
Join the Y
Households across our community have different needs so we offer a variety of membership types. Each of our locations offer many different programs, schedules, and classes therefore offerings and fees may vary by branch.
Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. At The Y, no child, family or adult is turned away due to an inability to pay.
Financial assistance awards are assessed on a case by case basis during a one-on-one, confidential session with a staff member. Those interested in applying for our financial assistance program are encouraged to download this form in English or download this form in Spanish, or stop in to any of our branches to learn more and pick up an application.